Sunday, April 27, 2008

Satyagraha

Scene III ~ 1908 PROTEST

Ghandi's Prayer:

The Lord said:
"Let a man feel hatred for no being, let him be friendly, compassionate; done with thoughts of "I" and "mine," the same in pleasure as in pain long suffering.

His self restrained, his purpose firm, let his mind and soul be steeped in Me, let him worship Me with love, then will I love him in return.

That man I love from whom the people do not shrink and who does not shrink from them, who is free from exaltation, fear, impatience, and excitement.

I love the man who has no expectation, is pure and skilled, indifferent, who has no worries and gives up all selfish enterprise, loyal-devoted to me.

I love the man who hates not nor exults, who mourns not nor desires, who puts away both pleasant and unpleasant things, who is loyal-devoted-and-devout.

I love the man who is the same to friend and foe, the same whether he be respected or despised, the same in heat and cold, in pleasure as in pain, who has put away attachment and remains unmoved by praise or blame, who is taciturn, content with whatever comes his way, having no home, of steady ming, but loyal-devoted-and-devout.

But as for those who reverence these deathless words of righteousness which I have just now spoken, putting their faith in them, making Me their goal my loving devotees, these I do love exceedingly. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terry and I went classy Friday. We went to the MET and saw Philip Glass's opera about Ghandi's South African years, "Satyragraha." It was so moving and powerful and beautiful. The images were just breathtaking...



*Picture from second act, those are big newspaper puppets that float around the back - they come when Ghandi needs strength.

The whole experience was very moving. The final act parallels Ghandi and Martin Luther King, while MLK is perched high in the scaffold delivering his "Dream" speech in silhoutte, Ghandi is down stage center non-violently resisting the riot police.

Watch the MET's promo video for the opera --




OR ELSE!

No comments: